File a Complaint
When the NDA receives complaints from patients about dental care, there are two options available:
1. The NDA Peer Review Program (if complaint qualifies) or
2. Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Professions and Occupations Investigations Unit.
Peer Review is not a court and has no disciplinary function. It merely provides an alternative dispute resolution mechanism, at no cost to either party. Peer Review is a process by which the dental profession reviews and attempts to resolve dental treatment problems and misunderstandings through mediation.
The purpose of the Peer Review system is to resolve disputes that may arise in the delivery of dental services to the public.
Unbiased, objective and timely reviews are conducted using the NDA Peer Review format for addressing disputes between patients, dental care providers and third-party carriers.
The NDA Peer Review Committee consists of NDA member dentists who volunteer their time and expertise to review and assist patients. They may meet to discuss the case and may examine clinical records, talk to the dentist and patient and, when indicated, arrange for a clinical examination.
Matters accepted for Peer Review
- Your dentist is a NDA Member. If the dentist does not appear in Find A Dentist, they are not a NDA member and Peer Review is not an option.
- The treatment in question must have occurred in the past 12 months.
- Appropriateness of Care: The Peer Review Committee shall determine the professional acceptability of planned or completed treatments, consistent with diagnosis. In other words, did the dentist provide appropriate treatment for the condition that existed?
- Quality of Treatment: The Peer Review Committee shall determine the acceptability of completed treatment based on the standard of care expected by the profession. In other words, was the treatment performed by the dentist done correctly?
Matters not accepted for Peer Review
- Complaint involving a dentist that is not a member of the NDA. If the dentist does not appear in Find A Dentist, they are not a NDA member.
- Any complaint that doesn't concern the appropriateness of care or quality of care is not accepted.
- If the case involves a fee or billing dispute, it is not accepted.
- Complaints of poor customer service, practice management or concerning a staff member's behavior are not accepted.
- If either party has contacted an attorney, even if litigation has not been initiated, the case will not be accepted.
- If a complaint already has been filed with the Nebraska Board of Dentistry, it will not be accepted.
After reviewing these criteria, if you wish to submit your complaint to the Peer Review program, download the NDA Peer Review Form.
Professions and Occupations Investigations Unit Complaints
If the complaint does not qualify for Peer Review, patients may complete a complaint form available from the Professions and Occupations Investigations Unit